[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Peter Blackburn blackburnap at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 23:43:45 GMT 2011

Johnny:

Although I am in the minority group of those who print in gum (and casein) without sizing my paper, I will say you can more than get by with using Fabriano Artistico paper without sizing—in fact, you can flourish! The key, I repeat, THE KEY to getting excellent highlights and snappy contrast is to use pigments which do not leave a stain in the paper after processing—of which there are quite a few. Enough, in fact, to produce tricolor and four color prints. You just have to test the pigments you wish to use to see if it stains.

I know, I know, it sounds too easy and besides, everybody else sizes. Well, in my view the time to size is when you have pigments which stain and you REALLY want to use them or HAVE to use them. Ok, in those cases, you need size. But there are plenty of pigments which do not leave a stain on Artistico papers. Those papers have already been sized by the manufacturer with a synthetic AKD size.

Veiled highlights? Stop by anytime here in Dallas, Texas. You won't see any veiled highlights in my prints. I wish you well in all of your gum printing, Johnny!

Peter J. Blackburn