[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 10 00:04:16 GMT 2011

Totally agree with Peter, and what I've been advocating for over 2 years now
esp with this paper.

When I first started reading about gum, I was getting discouraged by the
sizing aspect. I thought, "I'm not going to go through all that with
dangerous fumes, etc...no way"...then I read about Keith Taylor printing the
most beautiful tricolors with no sizing and no preshrinking. What was his
secret? Nothing, no secret...just do it. Fabriano paper, Daniel Smith
watercolors...a winning combo. Keith attaches his paper to aluminum, so he
doesn't need to worry about shrinkage. I don't do that, although I will
preshrink for very large prints...but besides that...no sizing.

Now, if I want to print on another paper like BFK Rives, which is a very
soft paper, I will use Gamblin PVA Size in various ratios with water...works
perfectly. If I want a softer print with lots of bleed, I'll use BFK as
is...

What I've learned in the 2-3 years I've been working in gum is that there
are NO rules and that you don't have to make your life so difficult with all
the dogma that's out there. Get your hands into it, experiment and most of
all, have fun!

Paul