[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Mary gneissgirl at spamcop.net
Sat Dec 10 01:33:58 GMT 2011

I started having fun when I started sizing my paper, Paul!

Before that it wasn't much fun. It was almost enough to make me give up
on gum printing altogether. I can't tell you how many sheets of Fabriano
Artistico I wasted due to staining when I began printing gum a few years
ago. Maybe I'm using the wrong pigments (phthalo blue, quinacridone
rose, Ni azo yellow, earth pigments; DSmith or MGraham) or making the
pigment/gum ratio too strong, but when I figured out a sizing system
that worked for me, everything else fell into place: recently dilute
PVA; before that gelatin hardened with glyoxal. I find it essential to
preshrink in cool water to avoid registration problems, whether I use
the 140lb or my preferred 300lb.

I gotta admit I'm jealous of you folks that have success without sizing,
but it has never happened that way for me.
What I've learned about gum printing in the last 5-or-so years is that
it takes a lot of practice, and each person has to figure out what works
best for them.

Mary in Boise
--
/http://www.alternative-ego.com/