[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Sun Dec 11 21:30:50 GMT 2011

Mary,

I agree. I never felt it logical to let sizing method determine pigment choice and strength of pigment. And I LOVE all the pigments you mention below. With sizing I never have to worry about either choice or strength, so the additional step of sizing, albeit a PITA, gave me peace of mind further down the road.  I never had to start sweating at the fourth layer of gum--would it or would it not stain now? That happened often enough for me.

I've used Fabriano Artistico for 10 years now and when I started sizing again after a six-month period of not sizing and unpredictable staining, I never looked back. More power to those who don't size and do well, each to his own. With the quick n easy PVA, though, there is no reason to abandon a sizing step since it is really brush n go, IF sizing is warranted.

I would never assume to tell someone that my way is the only right way. Nor would I assume that since several expert gummists are doing something one way, that that "dogma" is the only way to go. Heck, I can't even assume that even though since the dawn of gum everyone sized, that means you must size--nowadays paper and pigment and all kinds of stuff are different than back then, AKD sizing, for example, that Peter recommended in the past (Peter, you are no longer using AKD then? Or just when you use BFK and never with Artistico is my perhaps correct guess? I could have missed a post somewhere but I have a quart of AKD here from your recommendation waiting for my tests this year).

Ultimately gum is climate and person-dependent. And I can tell, Mary, that you have mastered your process because your gum prints are beautiful.

Hey, is Stella still gumming it up, too??
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com