[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Peter Blackburn blackburnap at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 22:28:48 GMT 2011

Hi Paul:

I'm glad to hear you are having success, too! It's nice to know there are others out there printing away without sizing producing spectacular prints. Yes, if you wish to use other non-AKD papers such as BFK, then sizing is needed. That paper is quite soft.

Mary—it seems your lack of success is primarily due to choosing the wrong pigments for Artistico. The "quick and dirty" way to tell if a pigment might be a good candidate for Artistico is to dab a bit of pigment on the paper, dry, and rinse. If it leaves a stain, you're most likely out of luck. But, don't give up—try others. I personally use gouache pigments much of the time—all from a single brand, by the way. Anyway, since you seem to be a pro at sizing, then keep going and I wish you well.

Thanks, Paul, for the back up! I wish you well, too!

Peter J. Blackburn