[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 13 03:23:11 GMT 2011

Re Staining pigments

I have found that the  pigment additives must have a significant
effect on staining. The surfactants and dispersants that are added to
reduce agglomeration of the particles in the tubes, also help to wet
the surface of the paper which "sucks the particles deeper in where
they stay. When I switched to grinding my own powder pigments into
the gum, my staining problems were much reduced even for the same
pigments namely quinacridone red, phthalo blue (both green and red
shift)  and various nickel azos.

I have frequently printed on Fabriano Artisitco hot pressed with its
own built-in AKD sizing. I have found however that tones are smoother
when I apply my emulsions to gelatine size. I always get a slight
mottling of tones on the Fabriano. This can be good or bad, but I
think it is worth mentioning al least if only to emphasize that
sizing type and/or amount may affect more than just the degree of staining.

Peter Friedrichsen