[alt-photo] Re: Sizing

Peter Blackburn blackburnap at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 13:12:43 GMT 2011

Hi Peter:

Your comments are great. I would agree with you that sizing does make for a bit smoother tones. However, for me it still isn't worth the bother and try instead to exploit the tonality I am able to achieve without sizing. By the way, that's why I add AKD size if I am making many layers on one print. It's not because  I am loosing the internal AKD sizing, but because the surface tends to get a bit too rough after many washings and soakings. So adding some AKD restores a smooth surface.

In my experience I have sometimes found the opposite true with dry pigments. One would think they would stain less without the additives. But I found several pigments which perform better from the tube than the jar. That said, I indeed use many dry pigments. It's interesting that you use the pigments mentioned in your message. None of those have made my A list—which goes to show there are MANY "nonstaining" and "workable" pigments available for printing on "unsized" Artistico.

Peter J. Blackburn