[alt-photo] Re: list history

Gordon J. Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 19 04:34:27 GMT 2011

Hi:

For those interested in ancient history of the list

In the early 1990's I  was following the photography use-net groups, and
noticed the occasional reference to alt-photo-process stuff.

I posted a message on some of the use-net photo groups asking if anyone
was interested in creating a mailing list.  I received around 25 responses.

I then asked if any of the interested people could host a list. Steve
Avery was one of the group who responded, and eventually volunteered to
host the list with the help of IT people he knew from the University of
New South Wales.

When Steve finished his studies he was unable or unwilling to continue
hosting and managing the list.  At this point I was able to get the
University to host the list.  I knew the head of the Photography program
at the UofS.  We were able to argue that the list was a potentially
valuable educational resource.

The rest is history

Gord