[alt-photo] Re: Steichen book on color

Tomas Sobota tom at sobota.net
Fri Dec 23 17:18:03 GMT 2011

No, not like dye transfer or carbro. I tried this once years ago, it more
or less goes like this:

1. you coat a glass (or paper, or whatever) with plain transparent gelatine.
2. Once dry, you sensibilize with a dichromate.
3. Once dry, you expose under a negative.
4. Develop with hot water, as if it were carbon.

At this point you have a coat of clear gelatine with some relief.

Next you put the plate in a mordent bath. The mordent is somewhat specific
to the dye you will be using.

If now you put the plate in the dye solution, the gelatine gets
irreversibly tinted by the dye, proportionally to the thickness of the
gelatine coat. So you get an image.

This is what I did and it works, but there must be infinite variants of
this process. I remember that I used methylene blue but I don't remember
using any mordent. Also, the color was rather pale, probably due to the
lack of a mordent.

For color, you will need three successive coats and a way of avoiding that
the dyes migrate from a layer to the next.

Tom