[alt-photo] Re: Steichen book on color

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 29 17:32:24 GMT 2011

     I got the book yesterday, rather disappointing in some
ways. The images are shown, I think, uncorrected. That may
be because the editors wanted to give the viewers an idea of
what they look like now but I would have liked  to have seen
discussion about whether they were degraded from the
original condition. At least in one case, a hand colored
transparency, that must be so since there is very little
color detectable. The notes also leave something to be
desired. I don't think the editor did enough research into
the processes being used. Most of these are "dye imbibition"
prints: they were either Eastman Wash-Off Relief or Kodak
Dye Transfer prints depending on date. I don't remember when
this changed but I believe it was after WW-2 and there were
differences in the details of the process although the
principle remained the same. The author also remarks on the
brilliantly saturated colors of the "pigments" in dye
imbibition and relates it to Technicolor: first of all the
images are made of dye not pigment, they are different. The
colors in carbon and carbro prints are pigments (but can be
dye). The longevity of dye imbibition prints _is_ due to the
choice of dyes, more permanent ones being available than
those produced in chromogenic materials, at least those of
the time. The brilliant color is a matter of choice: for
instance, Technicolor, in the early days of its three-color
process, tried both brilliant and subtle color, it was the
producers who used the process that decided audiences wanted
lots of color. The dye imbibition process is capable of very
subtle pastel effects depending on how its worked.
     One reason I would like to know more about the source
materials is that the prints used to make this book may have
been discards made to proof advertising originals. Dye
transfer and three-color-carbro prints were used as original
material to make the four color printing plates for color
advertising; if these are originals for that I am surprized
the quality is not better. Of course, some of the pictures
are not advertising but perhaps personal and some are marked
experimental.
     In the course of the thread on this there was some
speculation as to what some of the images marked "unknown
process" might have been, its too bad that GEH did not have
some real experts examine these because the identification
might be evident to someone looking at the originals.
Perhaps they had only restricted access but I am just making
excuses.
     The book is worth having, not very expensive from
Amazon. However, UPS or poor packing managed to tear the
plastic strip across the front with the title on it.
     I hasten to state that I am NOT an expert in color
processes, or photography in general, but I have been
studying it and working with it for more than sixty years
now and have a fair knowledge.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA