[alt-photo] Re: Steichen book on color and list history

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Dec 30 14:40:13 GMT 2011

On Dec 29, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
> The notes also leave something to be desired. I don't think the editor did enough research into the processes being used.

That's what I thought, Richard. I read the descriptions and was surprised the info was so scant for an Eastman House publication.

>    In the course of the thread on this there was some speculation as to what some of the images marked "unknown process" might have been, its too bad that GEH did not have some real experts examine these because the identification might be evident to someone looking at the originals.

Agree! Geesh. They have a lab right in the building!

>    The book is worth having, not very expensive from Amazon.
Yeah, just for the historic use of pt/pd and cyanotype I thought it worth the 25 bucks, and maybe for the public who isn't alt-knowledgeable the book suffices, but I was definitely looking for more.

>    I hasten to state that I am NOT an expert in color processes
Apparently your 60-year expertise is a lot broader than the authors :)

Speaking of expertise, I have now finished going through the list archives from 94-2001. Am into 2002 with only 3 years to go! On average there used to be about 7000 posts a year, 400-800 a month, with some darn good sharing. I even had to slug through the dreaded stain test arguments (I don't read them all, believe me). But the archives alone, should someone have the time, are worth more than a lot of books published. I have timed myself and can browse through about 7.5 emails a minute (since I only read what applies to my areas of interest, and save only those). YRMV.

It is sad to see posts from list members who have died and or left the list. Their personalities live on loud and clear in the letters. It is also sad to relive moments such as the WTC bombing, everyone worrying about whether Judy was harmed. It is also hilarious to see now-experts in particular processes before they were experts, asking newbie questions about their process of choice like the rest of us did.

I wonder to myself why we no longer have 7000 posts a month. Even just 1000 a month would be nice!! Maybe those of us oldtimers no longer have as many questions and new questioners are needed. Maybe email is "old hat" nowadays, replaced by (UGH) Facebook.

If I had the energy, I'd write a grant and have an historic show of alt listers' works (to help pay those dreaded shipping and framing costs).I saw Darryl Baird did this one year in Michigan. But I think there are, or were, 600 members. Gordon? So it'd have to be a big venue...
Chris