[alt-photo] Re: Question for Platinum/Palladium printers

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Sat Dec 31 18:20:59 GMT 2011

Loris wrote:

>Bob I don't know about the image, but I'm sure that HCl is a little
>bir too harsh to the paper (in the long term), and should be used as a
>last resort - if everthing else fails or is (somehow) impractical...
>BTW, I agree with the fact HCl is the most practical clearing agent.

I have heard this rumor about HCl being "too harsh" for paper over
and over, but I use HCl all the time -- and for multiple things --
and have never had any problems.  I pre-wash all paper for Pt prints
in significantly stronger HCl -- 3.5% -- to acidify it for the iron
and to dissolve any flecks of metal left after the paper was
calendered at the mill (this is necessary to prevent the dreaded
spots with some papers).  (I then rinse it very well, so the pH is
only the teeniest bit below 7 when I coat it.)  And, of course, each
print is cleared again in HCl.  As I mentioned, I neutralize the acid
and leave the print slightly alkaline at the end of the process.

I have found that some papers need different sizing treatments, but
(i) I cannot say that this is due to using HCl either before coating
or to clear; (ii) every worker finds it necessary to adjust sizing
for different papers, even if they do not use HCl; and (iii) I almost
never find a paper that can't be made to work well by testing
different sizings.

So, in my view, if someone is breaking down their paper using HCl.
they are doing something wrong (most likely, leaving acid in the
paper at the end of processing).  Once again, my view appears to be
supported by the many antique Pt prints I have, none of which appears
to have any perceptible breakdown of the paper surface or
structure.  (I do have a few hand-colored prints on which the
mechanical abrasion of the coloring process raised the surface nap.)

Best regards,

etienne