[alt-photo] Re: pigment problem

Julian Smart juliansmart at virginmedia.com
Wed Feb 9 20:36:40 GMT 2011

Hi Loris,

Nice to finally talk to you.

My method of sizing is to pour 100ml of distilled water into a jam jar to
which I add my 4g of gelatine. I let this rest until the dry gelatine has
absorbed as much water as it will. I then heat this in a small saucepan of
water on the stove until the gelatine has melted and the liquid looks clear
and runny. I am very particular about this as I have occasionally found
small bits of debris in the mixture, which I am sure to fish out. Once
ready, and the liquid never goes even close to boiling point I will add my
formaldehyde- started off trying six drops but I'm now down to 2 or 3
(doesn't seem to make much difference to how the paper prints).

I have previously taped down, on the kitchen table my first piece of paper.
Onto this I pour an amount of gelatine into the middle- the amount being
gained through experience.The jar goes back in the pan which is now removed
from the heat. Having previously wetted and shaken mostly dry the brush in
the water I use to heat up the gelatine (to heat up the brush) I quickly
cover the whole paper surface as evenly as possible with the liquid gelatine
using a 3inch hake brush which incidentally has the date 1st October 2001
written on it by myself- this brush seems almost indestructable!
Working quickly I brush alternately landscape and portrait until I feel the
gelatine is drying into the paper. I get quite heavy handed with the last
few passes until I can see from the sheen on the paper it is ready. There is
a distinct point at which I stop, which is intuitive to me now after over 12
years of gumprinting. The process takes maybe 1 1/2 or 2 minutes- the 20
minutes I mentioned before equates to 5 minutes per print which includes
faff time such as running upstairs to hang the print up in my workroom,
taping down another piece of paper, re-wetting the brush, retrieving and
drying the outside of the jam jar etc.

This process has worked perfectly for me ever since I started gum printing
and I have never found a more satisfactory method of sizing so don't want to
change anything. The formaldehyde in the gelatine should in theory work just
as well as a secondary formaldehyde soak. Of course, another variable could
be the actual paper. I'm using Artistico 300gsm HP and have occasionally
found with older sheets or batches some slight internal mottling. At this
point I can't rule it out but I have a fresh batch that looks perfect to me.

My original post was about not getting a coat of W+N Indigo to stick and
most people suggested it was a sizing issue. I'll stick my neck out and
suggest it's not as I coated two prints last night with a different pigment
(Indanthrone PB60) and got two perfect coats on the same prints that
wouldn't accept the Indigo, all other variables being constant.
Still puzzled!!

Julian.