[alt-photo] Re: pigment problem

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 10 00:20:28 GMT 2011

Julian.

Once upon a time, I had a similar problem to yours. The top layer I
used contained PB15 (Phthalo blue -green shift) mixed with gum from
pure pigment and containing no other additives. It was applied over
two other pigmented layers and it was sloughing off. My paper was
Fabriano artistico HP  300 gsm with no additional size. I resolved
the problem by applying this layer first. The cause of the problem
remains a mystery.

I speculated on causes but that is as far as I got. My speculations were:

1- Phthalo blue has some effect on the surface properties of gum,
affecting adhesion
2- Phthalo blue particles are extremely small and don't act as anchor
points unlike pigments with larger particle sizes.
3- Phthalo blue particles are shaped such that they provide no bite
i.e. anchoring to the previous layer
4?
5?

Blue sky speculation....Phthalo blue!