[alt-photo] Re: casein

Peter Blackburn blackburnap at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:32:56 GMT 2011

To Keith, Christina, and all,

One advantage to FRESH casein is that (at least in the method I use to make it) when ready to use, it has no odor—just what I would call a "fresh" smell. The odor comes later when processing in water. At first, I will get a mild whiff of "dirty diaper" smell—but it doesn’t last long.

Last but not least, in my opinion, casein as a process is more forgiving and has more latitude than gum. For example, while a print or two is outside exposing in the sun, I am usually preparing other prints inside or getting the water bath ready. Sometimes the phone will ring or my daughter will interrupt me and I will not hear the timer go off. While I'm on the phone or off in another world, my print(s) are quietly, merrily overexposing. No worries. Most of the time, the print(s) will still process fine—albeit a longer soak time, or some help from a dilute ammonia bath, but I can get away with much more inattention with casein than gum. That's why I compare gum to classical music and casein to rock n' roll.

I do plan to either write of my working methods on alternativephotography.com or through some other means. For what it's worth, I did not find dried casein suitable in my approach to printing which is bold, snappy, and saturated imagery. The characteristics, especially in pH and viscosity, are different.

I hope that helps.

Peter