[alt-photo] Re: New gum pigment

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Tue Jan 25 02:12:58 GMT 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011, Marek Matusz wrote:

> All, I just started doing gum with graphite pigment. I bought a tube
> from Danied Smith, it is called graphite grey. This is the pigment that
> is used to make pencils for those that are not very familiar. It is kind
> of silvery grey but it can be quite dark. It is really a beautiful
> alternative to lamp black. I am on a second gum layer and just realised
> that I have not preshrunk the paper. It is impossible to register the
> second layer. Oh well I will finish just to have an idea for the two
> pass tonality. Has anybody tried it? Marek

For what it's worth I mention that I've had some success in the past when
paper needed more shrinking by giving it a verrry long soak in very hot
water...(Drying with heat could help, too, tho none of this is what you
could call scientific.)

However & meanwhile, some papers shrink more than others, if you've got
one of those on hand.  (But don't ask me which ones... it's been a while,
not to mention that that's more likely to work when you don't want it).

J.