[alt-photo] Re: Caffenol?

Robert Young rwyoung at ieee.org
Tue Jul 5 15:55:43 GMT 2011

> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:27:19 -0400
> From: azuresummer at gmail.com
> To: alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
> Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Caffenol?
>
> Keith,
>
> I regularly have people come up to me after I take pictures with my
> trusty FE2 that try to get behind me to see the picture on the "screen"

Ha!  Just went through that experience yesterday (Independence Day celebration in the park).  Pentax MX with power winder instead of FE2.  Also had my Graflex Pacemaker with me and that stumped a LOT of people.  Especially the concept of sheet film and having Grafmatic backs.  :)

To keep things on topic, I've played a bit with Caffenol and found it to work reasonably well but lost something like 1-1/2 stops speed (varied by film type) and the stain seemed to be an overall cast, not proportional like you get with pyro.  Only a little bit of inspection with a densitometer, nothing exhaustive and none of it terribly scientific.  Just piddling about a few years ago because it sounded interesting.
Rob