[alt-photo] Re: new website and show

Jon Lybrook jon at intaglioeditions.com
Sun Jun 12 19:06:21 GMT 2011

Hi David,

My opinion is how you display your work on the web should be determined
by your audience and the degree to which your process is integral to the
work.  If your main audience is people who understand and appreciate
process and the work is hand-worked or reflects the process to a large
extent, as with gum or bromoil, then showing images of the actual print
is the way to go.

With monochromatic prints that closely reflect the original photo, I'd
say less than 1% of people who view such images on the web neither know
nor care anything about the process' affect on the final print.  They
care about the subject and composition, not the nuances in the actual
rendering, again, at least with monochromatic work that is faithful to
the original photograph's tonal and granular nature.  These nuances
can't be properly conveyed over the web, as you pointed out, so why
bother going to the extra time and trouble to rephotograph prints to
satisfy that 1% (which I realize is 100% of the readership of this forum).

Better to spend your time making more beautiful photographs.  I don't
think any collector who buys your work over the web will feel cheated
when they see it is grainier or with a little less tonal range than
found in the 100% digital images displayed on your website.  They should
know it's integral to any handmade process, and I'm sure you would tell
them such a difference exists, just to be safe.

That said, I'm sure many of us are interested to see how accomplished
you are in the process after 3 years by seeing the actual prints sometime.

Best wishes,
Jon Lybrook
http://intaglioeditions.com

--
This message was sent from a non-secure email account.
To communicate with us securely, please use our