[alt-photo] Re: Fwd: Epson printer 3880

kerik at kerik.com kerik at kerik.com
Tue Jun 14 15:55:43 GMT 2011

Diana,

First, I'm wondering what happened to your 3800. Mine had clogging
problems with the magenta inks that couldn't be resolved without
replacing the print head ($$$). I've heard similar magenta problems from
other 3800 users. So, I replaced it with a 3880 in November. I am
getting great digital negatives with the 3880 and QuadTone RIP. It's
easy to get plenty of UV density without resorting to a highly colorized
negative. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the 3800 and
3880 are the magenta inks. I don't know if the dithering has changed but
the negatives print beautifully in platinum and gum and it makes great
inkjet prints.

One interesting thing I stumbled on while calibrating the 3880: If you
use the front feed slot to load your transparency material to avoid
pizza wheel marks, the UV density of the resulting negs is lower in the
densest parts of the negative (about 0.3 log density) than if you use
the regular sheet feed. This effect was also confirmed by a user of a
3800. Very strange.

Kerik
www.kerik.com