[alt-photo] Epson 3800/3880 continuing saga

Diana Bloomfield dlhbloomfield at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:06:17 GMT 2011

Hi all,

Well, my 3800 is still at the service center.  After returning the 'DOA'
replacement head, they got a new one and installed that, but now it's
spewing globs of ink, and they can't determine why.  Meanwhile, I installed
my new 3880, and it seemed to be 'DOA' as well.  Nothing ever showed up on
the little screen-- it just remained blank-- and when I tried to print
anyway, it just kept saying the paper was jammed-- when it really hadn't
gone anywhere.

I called Epson tech service this morning, and the guy first insulted me by
suggesting maybe I didn't actually have the machine plugged in. Duh. Of
course, I did.  His only real question was "Does it make a noise like it's
been turned on?"  He wasn't even interested in the problems.  His suggestion
was to take it to a service center.   So I said to him, "Well, great.  So
maybe they can service this brand-new machine, and then I'm left with paying
full price for what would be, at that point, a refurbished 3880?"  He said
that some people like that option. (Really?) So he said we could return it
to them, like he was doing me a big favor, and they would send me another.
 All he would need is my credit card.  I explained that B&H, where I bought
it, would do the same and probably wouldn't ask for my credit card to do it
(though they probably have it on file).

So, I sent the 3880 to B&H this morning.  They were happy to exchange it,
though the B&H guy did ask if I'd called Epson for 'troubleshooting' advice.
 I explained that their idea of 'troubleshooting' consisted of me taking it
to a service center to be serviced.

So I have no idea what's up with Epson, but I take back everything I said
earlier about sticking with Epson printers.  The fact that the first
replacement head that was shipped for my 3800 was 'DOA,' and now this brand
new printer was, too, is definitely not confidence-inspiring.  I don't know
where these are actually made, but they seem to be seriously lacking in the
quality-control department.  And it looks like they really don't care.

So my next question is-- does anybody have advice for an excellent printer
that makes excellent digital negatives (and prints) that is NOT Epson?

So . . . Gord . . .   I gave it my best shot, but I can't seem to get Epson
to cooperate.

~Diana