[alt-photo] Re: digital negatives on a Canon Printer

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Wed Mar 2 15:06:58 GMT 2011

Eddy,
Any chance you can up the ink density in the printer driver? For instance, the Epson 3880, which Epson is proud that it lays down less ink and therefore saves money, I would not recommend to anyone because this is just what we DON'T want to happen. Good enough for gum, though, thank heavens (and soon will test with casein). It's got that new magenta ink (not good for diginegs either usually) and it is fine for gum with all inks, but man, it doesn't hold back ANYTHING unless ink density is increased under Advanced Media Control/Density. So for pt/pd, gelatin silver, VDB, argyrotype, salt we are hoping the Epson 3800s at work don't die on us. But this lack of density is true of the Epson R1800 I have at work, too...This all referring to Ultrachrome inks. Also the Durabrite inks were great also, and I don't know what Canon inks are composed of. It would be great to get a database of info going about other printer brands.

Seems like HP is getting on board so maybe Canon can, too?
http://h10088.www1.hp.com/cda/gap/display/main/index.jsp?zn=gap&cp=20000-20058-20295-20457%5E321990_4041_100
If HP has an ear to the digineg industry as it does, I may jump ship.

If there is an Epson representative at the SPE conference next week I am going to lodge my bitter complaints. I wish there was data on how many altees there are out there using diginegs so we could help them extrapolate the $$$ they'd make if they'd quit messing around with the printer drivers.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com