[alt-photo] Re: Is this mailing list still active?

Julian Smart juliansmart at virginmedia.com
Fri Mar 25 21:30:16 GMT 2011

Hi Kurt,

Welcome to the list.

As one of the resident lurking gum printers, I would like to suggest that
you do not try to reduce the density of your negatives by underexposing.
This will only lead to a loss of shadow detail. You need to retain your
shadow detail by exposing correctly and lower the contrast of the negative
by cutting back on the development time. Gum is a short scale process, that
is it can only record a few grades of tone (or shades of grey if you are
printing a step wedge), and needs a negative with a somewhat expanded tonal
range to produce the complete set of tones that existed in the original
scene. Think of a Silver Gelatine  neg. needing a grade 3 or 4 printing
paper and you will be in the ball park.
Of course, as with all things gum related, there are a thousand and one ways
of doing the same thing and it all really boils down to individual working
methods and requirements- every gum printer has .

 Regarding your use of Gesso in the gelatine size, I can comment that I have
tried this, hoping that it would remove the need for a hardener- the Gesso
renders the gelatine coating insoluble in water- and had reasonable results
this way. I did find the prints had a rather sparkly finish, though!
 Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Julian Smart