[alt-photo] Re: Gum printing: removing the dichromate altogether?

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 26 00:11:38 GMT 2011

Jacek,

The bulk of the dichromate will wash out in the soak/rinse but there
may be traces left behind. The metabisulfite does reduce any residual
Cr (VI) to Cr (III) which is less toxic. Even if there is residual
dichromate, it is not stable under high temperatures and will get
reduced to lower chromium compounds like Cr (III). Having said all of
that, as good practice I would make sure it is reduced beforehand to
eliminate any risk whatsoever.

Regarding metabisulfite, I know it eliminates the stain and residual
dichromate but whether it actually solubilizes the converted chromium
compound, I do not know; it is a good question.

Glasses are often coloured with chromium and render it green so it is
often added for wine bottle glass. Because of this effect, you should
make sure it is gone or you may taint the enamel colour if there is a
sufficient amount left.

Peter Friedrichsen