[alt-photo] Re: Is this mailing list still active?

sam wang samwang864 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 05:04:32 GMT 2011

Hello Kurt,

From my experience many years ago, the filter factor would be 3 stops. When you do it with pinhole and the films you mentioned, you might run into reciprocity problems even if you shoot in bright sun.

Since you haven't done much gum yet, I would suggest limiting your variable - try some monochrome gum first, then some multi-color gums with a single negative by varying exposures. Starting out with 3 in-camera pinhole separation negatives could end up with too many things going wrong and not knowing how to pinpoint the problems. I know, it sounds terribly slow going, but unfortunately, as the story goes, "there is no shortcut to Carnegie Hall."

On the other hand, even though digital negatives made printing a lot easier, some of my best gums were made with fogged in-camera negatives.

Sam Wang