[alt-photo] Re: pd/pt coating solutions

Eric Neilsen ejnphoto at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 30 19:32:34 GMT 2011

David, I am saying don't add it at all. And  now that you are talking about
digital negs, a very small amount may be needed. Just as with photoshop
workflows where one needs to know the whole thing, hardware type and
software versions, before offering up to much "do it this way", it is
important to know others entire process to put the mixture into perspective.

Potassium Chlorate does indeed make images have contrast, but even in slight
amounts can produce pronounced grain. IS that a problem? Not for some, and
that's visually speaking. You may have been told you MUST add a little to
keep the fogged highlights down. That may be or not.

Nomenclature 101 - Not everyone prints with the B&S chemicals, nor Dick
Arentz method or... so Ferric Oxalate can come in a powder or liquid form.
It can be home made in either type. I make a liquid. I have gone from Pot
Chlorate, H2O2, tried Dichromates, (sodium, potassium, ammonium) in separate
solutions and at different concentrations in the developer. I currently use
the platinic acid method that B&S users might refer to as Na2. All the
methods that restrain the highlights can be looked at for you preferred
workflow. Several can be made as separate solutions and added to the coating
solution just prior to coating the paper. Some can be added to the ferric
prior to the drop count time and you just end up with more solutions to add.

If you are using solution two, in the B&S system, then that is where the
chlorate comes in and the chlorate has more effect on some solutions than
others. The balance is in PD and PT for color and contrast. The additional
contrast changes come from gold and how it reacts with pd, pt and any other
parts; say lithium. Each new concentration and balance of pd, to pt to
sodium, to ammonium, to lithium changes the retainers that one might use.

Any change in your pt, pd ratio, as well as a change in humidity and any
additional additives like gold will benefit changes.  The changes to be made
will be depend on what you want to see.

Eric Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226