[alt-photo] Re: UV Point Light Source

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Mon May 23 02:04:49 GMT 2011

All of these posts to my question have been very informative, and I
am taking it all on and pondering my options but now I want to
respond to etienne's post, with the results from a fairly basic experiment:

Etienne, I tested your "IME" using a visual check with an LED light
source. I used a Philips 2w white dragon LED and projected the light
about 10 feet. From this distance, I held up my negative in front of
a translucent screen and viewed it from the back with a magnifier. I
then placed a 1/8 inch glass plate under part of the negative, with
the other half pressed against the screen and I noticed that the
image at 1/8 inch separation was softer; BTW this negative has a
resolution of about 600 dpi. The angle  width of the light source is
certainly much less than the sun and I am very roughly estimating
that it may be 1/5 of the sun's 0.5 degree angle or 0.1 degrees at
the distance mentioned. Moving further away (about 30 feet) there was
no improvement in resolution.  Finally, I proceeded to use a thin
glass slide of 1/16 inch thickness and at this separation distance,
the sharpness was preserved

The limiting factor seems to be light diffraction, which keeps a lid
on resolution no matter how small the light source.

Peter Friedrichsen