[alt-photo] Re: LED Exposure Lights

Harry B Houchins lightspeed-images at comcast.net
Sun May 22 15:56:22 GMT 2011

In a previous post I asked if anyone had experience with UV LEDs. I also
reported having a conversation with an engineer who develops LED
lighting systems for a local manufacturer (no, they are not all in
China...).
To continue the saga, I took my homemade fluorescent exposure system -
based on instructions provided in Scopik & Nadeau - to their labs and we
measured the light intensity & wavelength range. I received the
following in an email from the engineer regarding those tests...

/"I worked some numbers up for a compatible LED based UV light box.
Unfortunately, the cost is not looking very good. We would need at least
135 LEDs to roughly match the power output and coverage of your existing
box. Each UV LED goes for $11.87. /($1,600 USD)/As you know, LEDs are
still rather expensive and UV LEDs are even more so.

I did want to send you the power spectrum that we took of your light for
your own reference. I also wanted to let you know that I am learning a
new software package for designing luminares and that I would like to
use the software to model a LED based UV box as a learning exercise
since it is a rather straight forward problem. Who knows, maybe the
software will lead me to consider a different and more feasible approach
to the light box."

/I will be happy to email a copy of the power spectrum to any requesting
same. However, the spectrum shows the greatest intensity from 350 nm to
365 nm and another steep , short spike at 405 nm.

So, not so feasible with the LED costs as they are now. But, research
continues.

Regards,
Harry Bonham Houchins
Eugene, Oregon