[alt-photo] Re: back again

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 00:50:41 GMT 2011

On 2.11.2011 17:48, sam wang wrote:
> Franklin Enos, who taught me casein, was exposing for as short as 17 seconds under his big UV bulb. His test exposures varied by one or 2 seconds! So I agree, it's probably not the process to use without precise control of exposure.
>
> One can always change the distance of light source, of course. But Franklin liked it short. He would finish a print in minutes, alternatively soaking it in ammoniated water and blasting it with water. Now we know not to do that, but he got some amazing black and white prints with nearly full tonality.
>
> Sam Wang
>
> On Oct 24, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Joseph Smigiel wrote:
>
>> I might suspect the glass is absorbing UV.  My casein exposures were always briefer than gum and on the order of one minute or less IIRC.  I never pursued casein because I felt gum was more controllable with the longer exposures (1-6 minutes).
>>
>> joe
I had absolutely no luck with paper negatives but when I switched to
transparencies exposure times are abt. 2 minutes. Is there a resiprocity
failure as with silver negs, or something like that involved?
Temperaprints take about 7-10 minutes of exposures, cyanos on the other
hand give nice results with paper negatives (oiled Epson Photo Quality
paper) ~ 1h.

btw. I looked at the old alt-photo at usask.ca one week ago, but now
they are deleted, are there any copies?

thanks-matti