[alt-photo] back to the flaking/speckling question

Willen, Matthew S willenm at etown.edu
Mon Nov 21 15:39:34 GMT 2011

Well,
After much experimentation, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the problems with what I last week called "speckling," but was pointed out that it is actually "flaking," is due to something that happened while sizing the paper. So, the question I have now is what to do about it? I have a bunch of a gelatin/glyoxal sized paper (only on one side), some sheets do fine, others flake like there is no tomorrow, and for the life of me I can't determine any sort of surface difference which would indicate how one or another sheet might behave. Is there anyway to remove the sizing, and then redo it? Or just resize the other side of each sheet? Any suggestions?

How about using glyoxal indoors? It is getting pretty chilly around here, and even though I can keep the gelatin solution warm in a thermos, as soon as it come out it is exposed to some chilly conditions.

Thanks
Matt