[alt-photo] Re: back to the flaking/speckling question

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 21 20:01:40 GMT 2011

Well, it depends on how much saturation you're looking for vs flaking
problems vs the number of layers you anticipate putting down...for tricolors
I have a specific ratio I like for *my* methods and *my* negatives. It'll be
different for everyone...for single neg multi layer gums I experiment a lot,
but since I've put the time in to learn the process and kept really good
notes along the way, I'm able to have more confidence.

I don't like to use water in my mixture, so I look at the gum/pigment ratio
as a way to control the saturation, and realize that once developed, gum
will tend to look less saturated than you expect. Of course, your dichromate
ratio willl have a say in that as well...

It took me a year of solid printing to nail all my variables down, or at
least understand them a lot better and have a more reasonable expectation of
the outcome, or at least how to push the print in a certain direction. But
then, gum isn't usually about control...which can be it's charm.

Paul