[alt-photo] Re: back to the flaking/speckling question

Julian Smart juliansmart at virginmedia.com
Mon Nov 21 20:49:25 GMT 2011

Hi Paul, perhaps I should have phrased my question slightly differently.

I know all the variables relating to pigment concentration in the mix. What
I don't understand is how you quantify a ratio. I personally just squeeze
out a worm of pigment onto a saucer, then add 5ml of gum. The amount I
squeeze out is usually down to experience and will vary according to the
exact pigment and the contrast I am after. The ratio of pigment in the gum
emulsion will therefore vary but there is always 5ml of gum in there.

In order to have a quantifiable  pigment/gum ratio, one would have to weigh
the pigment out and then assign a "strength" value to the mix. This would be
easy to do if one were to mix up an entire tube of pigment with gum, as a
stock solution- I know a lot of printers do just this, especially those
practicing 4 colour gums as the necessary consistency would be there.
Perhaps this is what you do?

Julian.