[alt-photo] color theory?

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 22 20:02:07 GMT 2011

Well, okay, since nobody else answered, I'll just say what I do.  I
mentioned to someone recently that I use only about 3, maybe 4,
pigments, and then they saw this big old tray of watercolor pigments,
filled to the brim, in my studio.  They asked what happened to my "3
or 4 pigments" that I use.  I then had to explain how many shades
there really are of blue or yellow or magenta-- kind of like trying to
find the perfect gray wall color-- some have bluish or violet casts;
others have green casts; still others have a red cast . . .  (I just
painted my living room wall a deep taupe gray, so I am way too
familiar with that perfect elusive gray-- though I think I found it in
Ben Moore's "Ashley Gray," in case anybody cares.)

Everybody is different, but I tend to stick with either Daniel Smith
watercolors or M. Graham, and typically use a Prussian blue for my
cyan layer; a quinacridone gold for the yellow; and something to the
left of a real magenta for my magenta layer (typically a burnt
scarlet).  For some reason, whenever I use a real magenta, things come
out a little too pink for my taste. Those are for tri-colors.  For
multi-layer prints, from one b&w negative, I stick with a lot of warm
browns and maybe a prussian blue to darken shadows and maybe a gold
for some highlights.  I don't do a lot from one negative, but when I
do, that's what I do..  That's kind of vague, I guess, but there you
have it.

Diana