[alt-photo] Re: back again

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 16:10:32 GMT 2011

On 23.10.2011 18:37, Vedos Projekti wrote:
> Moro Matti,
>
> You can find gum arabic at Vanha Viljami, Tampere:
> http://www.wanhawiljami.fi/shop/luonnonhartsit-c-127.html
>
> or ask Yliopiston Apteekki, they can get you it as fine powder (very pure but a bit expensive)... ask for gum acacia (akaasiakumi), or buy it as liquid from Wallun Painotarvike, Tampere:
> http://www.wallunpainotarvike.fi/
> that is what I use, 14 Baume and very consistent... ready to be used straight from the can...
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Onnea matkaan,
> -Jalo
thanks Keith and Jalo.

I think the lines are from uneven coating of casein. I use Laura
Backlow's method to the letter. Now just made two new papers and foam
rolled the paper using more mixture than earlier and only brushing.
Looking against light, they look very even. Now it's time to expose. I
made tests to find the best exposure time in 20min steps using a grey
scale ramp, and 40 mins gave the best result, although filled with
lines, the ramp was quite good, so the negative needs only minor curve
correction. Colour I'm using is Van Gogh Patent grey.

Jalo, thanks for the links. I'm intrigued on casein, because it may give
good image with only one coating, and just to practice to get things
right, there's no need to waste time with several coatings only to find
out, that the print is ruined.

thanks
-matti