[alt-photo] Re: back again

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:08:25 GMT 2011

Hi,
Yes
40 min. Same uv-light cyanos are one hour. But coating succeed with heavier
layer, then brushing and rolling as in tempera. Because heavier layer, even
40 min was not enough. Had to use sodium carbonate to get anything visible,
but that lost details too.
-matti
24.10.2011 3.27 "Christina Anderson" <zphoto at montana.net> kirjoitti:

> Matti,
> Is that a typo or did you say 40 MINUTES??? OH, paper neg...but wow. I am
doing 2-3 minutes under UVBL which at most will be 12 is my guess under a
paper neg.

> But I also found that it is pretty forgiving exposure wise. Any exposure
at all and it is hardy hardy hardy hardly comes off. Of course I don't
develop it with alkaline baths, just hot water.
> Chris
>
> Christina Z. Anderson
> christinaZanderson.com
>
> On Oct 23, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Matti Koskinen wrote:
>
> > On 23.10.2011 18:37, Vedos Projekti wrote:
> >> Moro Matti,
> >>
> >> You can find gum arabic at Vanha Viljami, Tampere:
> >> http://www.wanhawiljami.fi/shop/luonnonhartsit-c-127.html
> >>
> >> or ask Yliopiston Apteekki, they can get you it as fine powder (very
pure but a bit expensive)... ask for gum acacia (akaasiakumi), or buy it as
liquid from Wallun Painotarvike, Tampere:
> >> http://www.wallunpainotarvike.fi/
> >> that is what I use, 14 Baume and very consistent... ready to be used
straight from the can...

> >> Hope this helps,
> >>
> >> Onnea matkaan,
> >> -Jalo
> > thanks Keith and Jalo.
> >
> > I think the lines are from uneven coating of casein. I use Laura
Backlow's method to the letter. Now just made two new papers and foam rolled
the paper using more mixture than earlier and only brushing. Looking against
light, they look very even. Now it's time to expose. I made tests to find
the best exposure time in 20min steps using a grey scale ramp, and 40 mins
gave the best result, although filled with lines, the ramp was quite good,
so the negative needs only minor curve correction. Colour I'm using is Van
Gogh Patent grey.

> > Jalo, thanks for the links. I'm intrigued on casein, because it may give
good image with only one coating, and just to practice to get things right,
there's no need to waste time with several coatings only to find out, that
the print is ruined.