[alt-photo] Re: Multi-Neg Printing Methods

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 05:52:11 GMT 2011

I'm gaining some insight into this regarding how both Penn and Salta made
their negatives. I may have found what was confusing me. I'll have to
consider it a bit more before I know. Thanks to all for the help!!

-Francesco

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Francesco Fragomeni
<fdfragomeni at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> negative which will help to match the exposure scale of the process. Its
> about selective control. Also, what we call HDR has nothing to do with the
> results I am after. I've seen prints made from HDR files turned into digi
> negs and it just looks like HDR printed in platinum. Thats not what we're
> after here. These are two different workflows that yield different results.
>
> As a follow up, I spoke with a friend earlier who has had work printed by
> Salto Ulbeek in Belgium. According to him, Salto uses 5 negatives produced
> on an imagesetter from a scan. The paper is coated (most likely multiple
> coatings) and then two negs are printed together in register followed by
> two more in register followed by the last neg. Exposure times are worked
> out for each phase of the printing. Thats about all I was told but it was
> confirmed that he does not glue the paper to aluminum and coat in between
> exposures like Penn did. I wish I could watch Salto print for just one day
> to clarify the points I'm missing.
>
> Thanks to all for your contributions so far! Keep 'em coming! :)
>
> -Francesco
>

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Julian Smart <juliansmart at virginmedia.com
> > wrote:
>
>> I seriously doubt that you could possibly produce more tones from
>> seperation negs than are in the original shot. Like Tomas says, HDR would
>> probably be the way to go, but doesn't platinum yield a huge tonal range
>> anyway??
>> Julian.
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Francesco Fragomeni" <
>> fdfragomeni at gmail.com>
>> alt-photo-process-list at lists.**altphotolist.org<alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
>> >
>> Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:59 PM
>> Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Multi-Neg Printing Methods
>>

>> Denny and Tomas,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your replies. I've seen the article and threads linked to from
>>> DPUG.org and while it offers some interesting information, it doesn't
>>> cover
>>> exactly what I'm interested in. While multi-neg printing and HDR share
>>> similar concepts they yield very different results. I don't think anyone
>>> who
>>> has seen Penn's platinum prints would ever say that they look like HDR
>>> and I
>>> don't know anyone bold enough to compare any HDR work to Penn's prints. I
>>> certainly think HDR has its place but the results that it yields are not
>>> what I'm looking for. I'm particularly interested in learning exactly how
>>> multiple negatives can be printed when using separate negatives to print
>>> highlight, midtones, and shadows. Consolidating them into one negative is
>>> definitely an option but my question is specific to using multiple
>>> negatives
>>> printed in register. What I'm not understanding is how exposure is
>>> determined and how to keep subsequent layers from overprinting the
>>> layers. I'm just not understanding how to this is done with multiple
>>> negs.
>>> I'm going to place a call to a friend who has had work done by Salto to
>>> see
>>> if he can offer any insight. Anyone else have any insight into this