[alt-photo] Re: Multi-Neg Printing Methods

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 31 16:15:00 GMT 2011

Also, please don't forget that Mr Penn was working with in-camera and/or
traditionally enlarged negatives, which can be notoriously difficult to get
to behave, especially in the way that we are used to easily manipulating
contrasts and such on diginegs. He may have felt the NEED to do multiple
hits because of the stubborn, but innate way traditional negs produce tones.
He had a vision inside his head and experimented endlessly to achieve it.

Penn also experimented with sizing on his papers, and there has been very
little discussion about that anywhere. One of his assisitants once described
the studio as looking like a laundry with so many sheets hanging, dripping
and drying.

There are so many factors that enter into a good platinum print, the
variables are endless. It's good to see the fantastic work being done by
Salto and it's another element to look into for some people.