[alt-photo] Re: The Illusive Black Cyanotype - Any Insight?

Gordon J. Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 20 04:05:45 GMT 2011

Have you tried this:

To convert Cyano to black tones:
Place print in solution of 3 drops Nitric Acid added to 1 litre water
for two minutes transfer to bath of 14g Sodium Carbonate + 160cc water -
leave till image disappears and then reappears with an orange tone
transfer print to third solution of 14g Gallic Acid + 160cc water -
black tones will appear wash 30 min.

perhaps the ferrogallic process would work;
(from Photographic Facts and Formulas 1940)

ferric chloride		50g
ferric suplphate (basic)	25g
tartaric acid			45g
water				500 ml

Dissolve and add

gelatin				25g
water				250cc

soak gelatin for 30 minutes and dissolve

Development details are not given though

Gord