[alt-photo] Re: The Illusive Black Cyanotype - Any Insight?

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:32:00 GMT 2011

Hi Gordon,

The 3 drops Nitric Acid recipe you've cited is the one I used last night.
This morning I took another look at the prints and found that they changed
to more of a cool grey but still retained a bit of the purple hue (but much
more pleasing in color then the purple cast that they had right when I did
the process). I also noticed that the gallic acid reduces contrast
significantly and flattens out the image very noticeably. I think I may
experiment some more with this to see if Ican improve the results. I think
if you take the reduction in contrast into consideration when making a
negative and consequently the initial cyanotype print then there might be a
way achieve deeper blacks and proper contrast. Some testing will be needed
to figure this out.

I haven't tried the ferrogallic process you mention but I'll look into it
and see if I can get all of the chemistry for it.

I'll continue to experiment with the Nitric Acid recipe and I plan to do
some experiments with the coffee toning recipe I just got to see if that
does what I want without staining the paper base and bringing down the
highlights.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

-Francesco