[alt-photo] Re: The Illusive Black Cyanotype - Any Insight?

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Wed Sep 21 20:59:57 GMT 2011

I doubt salicylic acid would tone prussian blue pigment. The iron in the blue
pigment is tightly bound to cyano ligands and salicylic acid is way too weak to
undo that.

Salicylic acid was useful in poisoning the redox catalyst activity of free
ferrous/ferric ions in ascorbate developers, but that was a very different aim.
Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple mechanisms involved
(e.g., free radical scavenging actions) as I don't think iron-salicylate complex
is very stable in alkaline solutions.

In the protocol you described, nitric acid is probably used to decompose
prussian blue to free up iron for further reactions. But you don't want the
image to become blurry (and lose density) by allowing the iron to freely diffuse
in the material, so carbonate solution is used in between. But Mike Ware is the
expert to ask on this topic.

If the objective is to convert prussian blue pigment to brown black, another way
to do it would be to use a weak solution of sodium sulfide or ammonium sulfide
(pH around 6).

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)