[alt-photo] Re: Recommendations for Replacement Printer? Input Needed!

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 03:48:51 GMT 2011

Well, it took two days of nozzle checks, windex under the heads, one head
cleaning, and I estimate about $300 in ink to clear the clogged 4800.
Wonderful. I'll get new batteries for my hygrometer tomorrow so I can really
keep track of humidity in the printer and I've gone ahead and made a new bag
for it. Now the whole thing is pretty much air tight so I know the humidity
can't escape. A person who worked on testing Epson printers and various
papers is quoted as saying that their tests showed that dipping below 40%
humidity becomes detrimental to the heads and the ink in addition to
accounting for measurable changes in paper. In Phoenix, the humidity rarely
gets above 40 so the sponge and bag is a must.

>From what I've been able to find, there is very little change between the
3800 and the 3880 as far as the heads go and their propensity toward
clogging. It doesn't seem that the Vivid Magenta does much in the way of
lessening clogs for most users and most find that there is always one ink
that is more likely to clog then the rest but with both printers clogging is
vary rarely an issue at all (which is a massive relief to me and my wallet).
I'm now deciding whether to get a freshly rebuilt 3800 from one of our
wonderful list members or a refurbished 3880 from Epson. My only concern at
this point would be that at some point in the near future Epson would stop
making drivers or ink for the older 3800 BUT with how many dedicated 3800
users are out there who would rather rebuild their aged 3800's then buy a
new printer, the number of businesses specializing in repair and
refurbishment of the 3800, and the minimal difference between the 3800 and
3880, I don't really think it'll be an issue (at least I hope not). I shall
decide by tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the help with this. This is a great group!

-Francesco