[alt-photo] Re: printer weirdness

clay harmon/website clay at clayharmon.com
Wed Sep 28 22:31:59 GMT 2011

Short answer is:  Adobe, Epson and Apple developers have some communication issues.

The inability for users to actually turn off color management for developing profiles using the combination of CS5, OSX 10.6 and the Epson drivers off has everyone pulling their hair out.

Big discussions about the problems here:

 http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/03/printer-hell-the-epson-cs4-snow-leopard-dysfunction.html

and here:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/returning-to-hell.html

and here:

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-photoshopCS5printing.html

with a boatload of discussion here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0

Bottom line is that to create a good ICC profile you will need to use an older version of Adobe CS and an older version of OSX to print the unmanaged test strips.

I have heard that Adobe has recently created a standalone printing app for profile creation that somehow bypasses the color management in OSX 10.6 and above. You'll have to dig around the Adobe site to find out about that.

It's a mess.

Clay