[alt-photo] Re: Densitometer (was: an alternative to alternative)

G Schmitz coldbay1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 09:44:54 GMT 2012

Alan,

Don't limit yourself to X-rite.  There are lots of good units around and
last time I checked (about 3 years ago) ESCO was still supporting the
units they sold ;unlike MacBeth (now owned by Gretag and previously
owned by Kollmorgen) and X-rite which I don't think gives two hoots
about their old products.

Currently my primary densitometer (digital, reflection / transmission
with 2 color channels: Status A and Status M) is an ESCO TR-90M - a
wonderful tool.

For 20 years I used, exclusively,  an analog MacBeth TD-500 transmission
densitometer for reading my B&W negs.  What a great tool.  The downside
to this unit is that it was designed for the printing industry and will
not read colors accurately.  I still have it but only use it as a
reference to old data.

I also own a MacBeth TD-903.  This unit is a color transmission unit,
digital, and very accurate.  I spent big bucks to install a new set of
color filters. Don't know if anyone is doing this kind of maintaince
anymore.  Mark Jackson, at Process Camera replaced the filters and
calibrated it for me in 2003.

Good luck.  --greg