[alt-photo] Re: an alternative to alternative

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 1 18:06:12 GMT 2012

Hi Bob,

I don't think I'd disagree with anything you say here, and I
definitely agree with your last sentence, in particular.

I will add, though, that while savvy collectors are absolutely what
we'd all like to cultivate,  I certainly don't spurn the Public at
Large (PAL).  At some earlier point in their lives, those savvy
collectors were the PAL.  So, to educate the PAL, many of whom are
genuinely interested in art and in photography, specifically, would/
should be a purposeful goal.  Doing so might just transform them into
savvy collectors of 'historic/alt' prints.

I personally have always loved traditional printmaking, and through
the years, I've amassed a nice little collection of mezzotints.  When
I first became enamored with them, though, I just simply liked the
look of them.  Most I saw were relatively small, and I just thought
they were like perfect little jewels.  The more I saw, the more I was
intrigued, and-- ultimately-- I became more interested in and educated
about the specific labor-intensive process itself.  But what drew me
to them in the first place was simply the look of them.  At the time,
I could have cared less about all the gritty details about how they
were made.  I think a lot of collectors start out that way.

So I would hope for a dealer or gallerist to welcome ALL potential
clients who walk through their door (not just already established
collectors), and with the help of the artist, educate them in the
process.  Otherwise, I think a great opportunity will be sorely missed.

Diana