[alt-photo] Re: Carl Weese's Drive-In project

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 3 15:25:33 GMT 2012

Hey Chris,

Well, I read about this, and it seems like a great and really
worthwhile project.  I've certainly photographed a lot of drive-in
movie theaters over the years-- they are definitely a wonderful part
of American culture and certainly of another time and place.  I love
the whole idea and would love to travel across the country and do the
same.

But I have to say-- unless I missed something in here-- and, no doubt
I probably did-- is he just asking for monetary support to help with
the travel and the project itself?   If so, this has got to be the 3rd
(and I just received yet another this morning, from a multi-media
artist) request for monetary support for an artistic venture that I've
seen in the last two months.

I guess I must be seriously out of touch, because I remember a time
when you'd have a photographic project in mind-- and no matter how
impressive the project was, or what it might do for others-- or how
much it might ultimately resonate with people-- and, hopefully, sell
like hotcakes-- you just forged ahead and carried out your project,
because you believed in it, even if it was years-long, and hoped for
the best.

Now what seems to be the norm is for artists to ask for monetary
support (from regular people, not from grant panels) to travel all
over the country, or to help hang a show (under the guise of selling
prints and then donating money to some food group or whatever), or to
keep their co-op gallery doors open (basically paying their mortgage,
because it will help us all, as we're all-inclusive, and anybody can
hang work there!), or whatever.

The last time I mentioned this to someone-- that I simply go out and
photograph and print and hang shows (all with my own funds-- or, if
I'm lucky, with a grant)-- and that I've never once thought about
sending out a call for money to individuals, so I can essentially do
my work I've elected to do (nobody is making me do it)-- never once
thinking about sending out a call to everybody I know for money to
carry out those projects-- I sounded like some sort of curmudgeon--
but, seriously, I'm so confused.  I just don't get it.

Maybe Carl's call for support is slightly different-- I'm not sure--
at first glance, it just seemed to be the type of request I seem to be
seeing all the time now.  Given this economy, too, I just find it odd
that people are doing this.

So is it just me?  While I understand the need for funds to support
artistic projects, wouldn't going straight to corporations or
foundations that often fund artistic projects, or book publishers or--
as Bob said-- some high-powered movie mogul-- be more worthwhile?

The request I received this morning was from a multi-media artist who
wants to make 100 prints or something, hoping to sell it all, and then
donate the proceeds to some Hunger group.  That's admirable.  But if I
was gonna give any money, I'd simply donate to our local food bank
directly.  This request, of course, is from a person who has received
at least two (possibly 3?) State Art Fellowships (worth $10K each) in
the last several years and who also has a 'regular' job.  She's asking
for a little less than $3,000 to complete her project.  I'm just
dumbfounded by that.  It seems to me she's savvy enough to know how to
ask for money from established foundations, not from other individual
artists.

So . . .  before everybody jumps on me, is this some kind of new
trend, and are 'regular' people out there (including struggling
artists) really donating money all the time to other people's artistic
projects?  Does that really work?  If so, could someone give some
pointers here, because I think I might start doing that, too.  I
cannot believe I've been bopping along here (mostly) paying for my own
printing, traveling, supplies, etc.  How dumb is that??

Diana