[alt-photo] Re: Fwd: salt printing and contrast

Darryl Baird darryl at darrylbaird.com
Sat Aug 25 16:51:10 GMT 2012

Yes, this technique is mentioned in Chris James' book, and it works
to increase the D-Max of a given print. So does double coating and
doesn't require me to make two different print exposures. (my preference
is to establish a set printing time and keep working while it's
"cooking," rather than keep getting up to change the printing frame) I
tested this approach and decided to double coat, but then I changed
other parts of the formula and got prints as good as the double coated
ones and kept moving forward with what was working for me at the moment.
I'm hoping the fumed silica will further deepen my dark values and that
will be the final step in improving my prints, besides the final print
color. (fingers crossed)

another point... removing the salt prints
tendency towards staining/fogging (and dulling the highlights) also
contributes to better contrast. It seems citric acid added to the silver
nitrate sensitizer pretty much solves that issue. It's generally offered
in the literature as a way to keep the sensitized paper "out" longer,
and in my experience that's basically a reduction in fogging/staining
and not sensitivity.

On 2012-08-25 07:46, Christina Anderson
wrote:

> Here's a message from John, below....
> Chris
> Christina Z.
Anderson

From: John Brewer <johnbrewerphotography at gmail.com [9]> Date: August 25,
2012 2:05:22 AM MDT To: Christina Anderson <zphoto at montana.net [10]>
Subject: Fwd: salt printing and contrast Hi Chris I can't seem to post
to the list via my phone and I'm away. Below is an email I tried to
send. Best wishes John Sent from my iPhone Begin forwarded message:

>>> From: John Brewer <johnbrewerphotography at gmail.com [6]> Date: 23
August 2012 21:04:37 GMT+01:00 To: The alternative photographic
processes mailing list <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org
[7]> Subject: salt printing and contrast Hi Chris

am puzzling with is Young's use of the word "contrast." If a certain
solution is faster in exposure, she then equates it with lower contrast.
Now, I could be the one confused but I have always understood contrast
to be separate from exposure. Once maximum black and maximum white are
achieved, the number of steps between the two is either fewer (more
contrasty) or greater (less contrasty) but if comparing faster and
slower solutions this gives a false read.
>>> This works with other alt
processes as a contrast control. Try it with cyanotype or plat/plad.
Block some uv light with say tracing paper or velum and you'll see an
increase in contrast as the exposure lengthens. The Victorians knew this
and to increase contrast put printing frames in the shadow rather than
direct sunlight. This I think is one of many reasons why third party
curves don't work. Best John. Sent from my iPad On 23 Aug 2012, at