[alt-photo] Re: Cyanotype Light sources

Rafael Frota theesilvermtzion at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 19:38:06 GMT 2012

First of all, thanks a lot for the support. I´m going to be objective

Matti Koskinen
>> like the energy saving bulbs.
Is it the same that CFL? I don´t know too much about this terminology

>> I have three of them mounted on a piece of wood. And exposure is abt. 20 mins.
How many watts? Would be perfect to me! It´s a very good exposure time and the cheapest option. But see the Juan answer. He spend 1 hour.

Loris Medici
>> Don't you have the usual straight / long Osram or Philips tubes in Brasil?
Osram is VERY difficult to find. Phillips I think I can find (not too easy) these kind
http://www.catalogosiluminacao.philips.com.br/catalogo/?section=1&item=5

But I think  tubular very difficult to work. Needs a lot of supplies. I´d like to do something simple, with compact fluorescent, if it is possible anyway.

The problem with importation of any product here in Brazil is the expensive taxes that we pay. If I buy a single lamp about $8, this will cost $32 (about R$64 in Brazil). Could you figure how expensive is?
So, I´m trying make this lightbox with local supplies.

Juan
>> I use them for printing albumen, and they work well, though they are slow- sometimes an hour exposure.

This is the configuration that I want, but 1h I think too much. I suppose cyanotype needs even more time, don´t?
Did you use 6 x 27 watts?

Gordon Holtslander
>> sylvania F40/350BL/ECO

Unfortunatly I can´t find it here in Brazil.

Nelson Mark
>> If you haven't checked out Ed Buffaloe's Unblinking Eye alt photo site, you should do so.

I´ve read these articles. Really amazing. The problem is, as I said before, we don´t have access to these supplies here in Brazil. Or we have to pay too much (too too toooo much).

Now, I only see 2 ways:
- Build my own lightbox with the supplies that I can find (as the blacklight CFL that I said. But how many? Very long exposure times?) or

- Try finding some way to get a sunbed like this:
http://www.amazon.com/CalSun-Facial-Tanning-Lamp-Tanner/dp/B001BH0A1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328122510&sr=8-1

And thanks again!

Hugs!

Rafael Frota