[alt-photo] Toning advice-

Sarah McKemie mckemie_sarah at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 19:26:19 GMT 2012

Hi there everyone,

I would like any advice doing toning.
I would like to try some toning process, although I have never done before and am not the best with chemicals.
I know I can use warm tone and cool tone paper, and even simply red wine or coffee. These are probably very good methods for someone with no experience - like me.

However, I would like to try some using actual toners. I have heard, for example, that Selenium is very toxic, but we have some at the school I work at, which I could use.  We also have in our storage cabinet at school, Iron Blue Toner by Photographer's Formulary and Berg Rapid Sepia Toning.  Can you give any recommendations for a toning beginner about using these, or perhaps recommend better ones to start with?

Thanks so much and I look forward to any thoughts you may have.