[alt-photo] Re: Paper for Bromoil

Jacques Kevers jacqueskv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:41:52 GMT 2012

Hi Francesco,
Specific bromoil papers are long gone now, except for the one proposed by
David Lewis. He is only marketing this paper, which is said to be "Imago
Photographic Bromoil" which in turn is a paper marketed by an Austrian
company that isn't manufacturing it either. Assumptions are that this paper
is coming from EFKE. It is sold by Lewis at an outrageously high price.
The specific papers that were mostly used before they went out of the
market were papers marketed by Bergger and FotoImpex under different names
(and which was in fact manufactured once a year by Forte) and Kentmere
Document Art, which disappeared when Kentmere was absorbed by Harman
technologies (Ilford).
These papers were all non supercoated papers, as were the special bromoil
papers from the origin (non supercoated papers have better swelling
capacities).

Most people finally ended up using fiber, matte or semi-matte, but
supercoated papers - especially Agfa MCC.
Matte is said to have better swelling capacities, to provide some "tooth",
ans have usually a texture that fits well to bromoil.

I would suggest you experiment with any of the following papers:

Fomabrom Variant FB - ADOX Fine Print Vario Classic - Fotokemika (Efke)
Emaks or Varycon FB - Kentmere Fineprint -
Arista EDU Ultra FB VC Fine Grain Semi-Matte - Ilford Multigrade Art 300gsm
- Textured Matt

Once you figure out the time/temperature soaking time for the paper, you
will be able to get results from any of these papers, at a fraction of the
price of David Lewis / Imago bromoil papers. There is a bromoil group on
Yahoogroups - it was once quite active, much more quiet now, and you might
get good advice there...

Best,
Jacques
www.picto.info