[alt-photo] Gum over cyanotype question

Willen, Matthew S willenm at etown.edu
Mon Feb 27 15:52:34 GMT 2012

Hi All,
I am working on some duotone prints using a cyanotype layer on the bottom and gum layer of an umber or sienna over the top. I'm using a stock solution of cyanotype from B/S. A couple of things happen: 1) I find that the gum layer doesn't stick particularly well to the cyanotype, it almost peels off; and 2) even though I wash throughly and all the cyanotype layer to dry well, I lose a lot of the density of that layer in the extended gum wash. Any suggestions? Perhaps some tween in the gum layer? I've also developed the cyanotype in a Hydrogen peroxide/H20 solution. Might that make it more slick? Thanks.

Matt