[alt-photo] Re: further cyanotype observations

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Wed Feb 29 07:46:07 GMT 2012

> I use 20% A to 8% B 1:1, which if I do the calculations of Alberto's mix/your mix, Loris, I should be at 20%A to 9.6% B so I could up the B a bit.
>
> I got tremendous bleeding with 2A:1B and that was when the conversation started a couple years back and Alberto was such a saint to explain it to me why.

I would not add confusion speaking of stechiometry. If one is satisfied with
his method, I would suggest not to change. Otherwise, like Christina and
Loris have seen, simply lowering the ratio of citrate to ferricyanide (by
the mixing ratio of the solutions A and B, or increasing the concentration
of ferricyanide) will solve any bleeding problem at the expense of the
exposure time (ferricyanide acts as a filter for UV) and a slight gain in
contrast and Dmax.
But cyanotype is sensitive to the alkalinity of the paper and of the rinsing
water, so this is an important variable of the process. Once, I forgotten a
print in the water and after a few hours it came out almost completely faded
with a violet/magenta hue. You can achieve the same result in a few minutes
using a dilute solution of sodium carbonate.
The variations on cyanotype are much more than simply the ratio between AmFe
citrate and ferricyanide: there are at least 40 patens relying only to the
chemistry of cyanotype when this was the main process for reproducing
documents (more or less, in 1930-1940). Among those, there were cyanotypes
with ferrocyanide (with or without ferricyanide), AmFe oxalate, and amines
with the aim to reduce the exposure and the developing time of the machine
process, and increase the stability.

Alberto

www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group